Dr. rer. nat. Elke Vorndran
3D printing of bioceramics
3D printing for medical applications in human and veterinary medicine
- 3D powder printing and extrusion 3D printing of calcium- and magnesium phosphates for the use as degradable scaffold for tissue engineering or defect-specific bone implant
- In situ drug modification of printed ceramic implants or injectable cement pastes
- Fiber modification of calcium- and magnesium phosphate cements for the anisotropic enhancement of mechanical properties by 3D powder printing
- Development, optimization and characterization of ceramic cements concerning their chemical, mechanical and biological behaviour and workability
3D printing for environmental science
- 3D powder printing of calcium phosphate based filter systems for the adsorption of heavy metal ions
- Immobilization of living microalgae or bacteria in translucent bioceramics for biotechnological applications
- Optimization of bioceramics concerning their translucency and compatibility with living organisms
- Since 2019: Postdoctoral researcher at FMZ
- 2016 – 2018: Postdoctoral researcher at FMZ and scholar ship holder within the programme “Bavarian Gender Equality”
- 2013 – 2016: Postdoctoral researcher at FMZ
- 2012 – 2013: Postdoctoral researcher at FMZ and scholar ship holder within the programme “Bavarian Gender Equality”
- 2007 – 2012: Scientific assistant at FMZ
- 2007 – 2012: PhD student (physics) at the Julius-Maximilians-University of Würzburg
- 2000 – 2006: Studies for nanostructure technique at the Julius-Maximilians University of Würzburg
Awards and Fellowships
- Award from the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Biomaterialien e.V. (German Society for Biomaterials) for an excellent dissertation in medicine or natural sciences 2012
- Zonta award 2012 for a highly qualified young female researcher
- 2016 – 2018: Postdoctoral fellowship of the Bavarian State (Gender Equality Grant)
- 2015 – 2017: Young Scientist fellowship, Qualification Programme for research group leaders – Scientia, Julius-Maximilians University Würzburg, Germany
- 2015: Traveling Grant from the German Academics Exchange Service (DAAD)
- 2012 – 2013: Postdoctoral fellowship of the Bavarian State (Gender Equality Grant)
- 2019 – 2022: Research Grant Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG): Additive Manufacturing of personalized bone implants for application in human and veterinary medicine based on calcium magnesium phosphates. VO2269/3-1
- 2016 – 2018: Gender Equality Grant from the Bavarian State, Germany: Immobilization of microorganisms
- 2017: Bavarian Research Alliance: 3D extrusion printing of magnesium phosphate cements
- 2012 – 2013: Bavarian Research Alliance: 3D printing of photocatalytically active heavy metal ion filters
- 2012 – 2013: Gender Equality Grant from the Bavarian State, Germany: 3D printing of metal ion filters
- Ostoblast and osteoclast behaviour on 3D powder printed calcium magnesium phosphates
- 3D printing for biotechnological applications
- Extrusion 3D printing of magnesium phosphate cements
31. Meininger S, Moseke C, Spatz K, März E, Blum C, Ewald A, Vorndran E. Effect of strontium substitution on the material properties and osteogenic potential of 3D powder printed magnesium phosphate scaffolds. Materials Science and Engineering C 2019; 98: 1145 – 1158.
30. Holzmeister I, Schamel M, Groll J, Gbureck U, Vorndran E. Artificial inorganic Biohybrids: the functional combination of microorganisms and cells with inorganic materials. Acta Biomaterialia 2018; 74: 17 – 35.
29. Castilho M, Rodrigues J, Vorndran E, Gbureck U, Quental C, Folgado J, Fernandes P. Computational design and fabrication of a novel bioresorbable cage for tibia tuberosity advancement application. Journal of Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials 2017; 65: 344 – 355.
28. E. Vorndran, P. Lindberg. In situ-immobilization of two model cyanobacterial strains in ceramic structures: a new biohybrid material for photobioreactor applications. Journal of Biotechnology 2016; 223: 1 – 5.
27. K. Zorn, E. Vorndran, U. Gbureck, F.A. Müller. Reinforcement of a magnesium-ammonium-phosphate cement with calcium phosphate whiskers. Journal of the American Ceramic Society 2015, 98: 4028 – 4035.
25. M. Castilho, J. Rodrigues, I. Pires, B. Gouveia, M. Pereira, C. Moseke, J. Groll, A. Ewald, E. Vorndran. Fabrication of individual alginate-TCP scaffolds for bone tissue engineering by means of powder printing. Biofabrication 2015; 7 (1):015004
23. M. Castilho, M. Dias, E. Vorndran, U. Gbureck, P. Fernandes, I. Pires, B. Gouveia, H. Armes, E. Pires, J. Rodrigues. Application of a 3D printed customized implant for canine cruciate ligament treatment by tibial tuberosity advancement. Biofabrication 2014; 6(2):025005.
22. M. Castilho, C. Moseke, A. Ewald, U. Gbureck, J. Groll, I. Pires, J. Tessmar, E. Vorndran. Direct 3D powder printing of biphasic calcium phosphate scaffolds for substitution of complex bone defects. Biofabrication 2014; 6(1):015006.
20. M. Castilho, M. Dias, U. Gbureck, J. Groll, P. Fernandes, I. Pires, B. Gouveia, J. Rodrigues, E. Vorndran. Fabrication of computationally designed scaffolds by low temperature 3D printing. Biofabrication 2013; 5(3):035012.
19. N. Mehrban, J. Bowen, E. Vorndran, U. Gbureck, L.M. Grover. Structural changes to resorbable calcium phosphate bioceramic aged in vitro. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces 2013; 111: 469 -478.
17. K. Zorn, D. Mitro, E. Vorndran, U. Gbureck, F.A. Müller. Hydrothermal synthesis of calcium-deficient hydroxyapatite whiskers and their thermal transformation to polycrystalline ß-tricalcium phosphate short fibers. Bioinspired, Biomimetic and Nanobiomaterials 2013; 2(1): 11 – 19.
16. C. Moseke, C. Bayer, E. Vorndran, J.E. Barralet, J. Groll, U. Gbureck. Low temperature fabrication of spherical brushite granules by cement paste emulsion. Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine 2012; 23(11): 2631 – 2637.
15. A. Ewald, C. Kaeppel, E. Vorndran, C. Moseke, M. Gelinsky, U. Gbureck. The effect of Cu(II)-loaded brushite scaffolds on growth and activity of osteoblastic cells. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A 2012; 100: 2392 – 2400.
14. C. Moseke, F. Hage, E. Vorndran, U. Gbureck. TiO2 nanotube arrays deposited on Ti substrate by anodic oxidation and their potential as a long-term drug delivery system for antimicrobial agents. Applied Surface Science 2012; 258(14): 5399 – 5404.
13. J.Y.S. Yoon, H. Deyhle, U. Gbureck, E. Vorndran, F. Beckmann, B. Mueller. Three-dimensional morphology and mechanics of bone scaffolds fabricated by rapid prototyping. International Journal of Materials Research 2012; 103(2): 200 – 206.
12. E. Vorndran, N. Spohn, B. Nies, S. Rössler, S. Storch, U. Gbureck: Mechanical properties and drug release behaviour of bioactivated PMMA-cements. Journal of Biomaterials Applications 2012; 26(5): 581 – 594.
11. J. Schnieders, U. Gbureck, E. Vorndran, M. Schossig, T. Kissel. The effect of porosity on drug release kinetics from vancomycin microsphere/calcium phosphate cement composites, Journal of Biomedical Material Research B 2011; 99B(2): 391 – 398.
10. N. Mehrban, J. Z. Paxton, J. Bowen, A. Bolarinwa, E. Vorndran, U. Gbureck, L. M. Grover. Comparing physicochemical properties of printed and hand cast biocements designed for ligament replacement. Advances in Applied Ceramics 2011; 110 (3): 162 – 167.
9. E. Vorndran, K. Wunder, C. Moseke, I. Biermann, F. A. Müller, K. Zorn, U. Gbureck. Hydraulic setting Mg3(PO4)2 powders for 3D printing technology. Advances in Applied Ceramics 2011; 110: 476 – 481.
8. E. Vorndran, A. Ewald, F.A. Müller, K. Zorn, A. Kufner, U. Gbureck. Formation and properties of magnesium-ammonium-phosphate hexahydrate biocements in the Ca-Mg-PO(4) system. Journal of Materials Science: Materials in Medicine 2011; 22(3), 429-436
7. U. Klammert, U. Gbureck, E. Vorndran, J. Rödiger, P. Meyer-Marcotty, A.C. Kübler: 3D powder printed calcium phosphate implants for reconstruction of cranial and maxillofacial defects. Journal of Craniomaxillofacial Surgery 2010; 38: 565 – 570.
6. U. Klammert, E. Vorndran, T. Reuther, F.A. Müller, K. Zorn, U. Gbureck: Low temperature fabrication of magnesium phosphate cement scaffolds by 3D powder printing. Journal of Material Science: Materials in Medicine 2010; 21: 2947 – 2953.
5. E. Vorndran, U. Klammert, A. Ewald, J.E. Barralet, U. Gbureck. Simultaneous Immobilization of Bioactives During 3D Powder Printing of Bioceramic Drug-Release Matrices. Advanced Functional Materials 2010; 20(10): 1585 – 1591.
3. U. Gbureck, E. Vorndran, J.E. Barralet. Modeling vancomycin release kinetics from porous calcium phosphate ceramics comparing static and dynamic immersion conditions. Acta Biomaterialia 2008; 4: 1480 – 1486.
2. E. Vorndran, M. Klarner, U. Klammert, L.M. Grover, S. Patel, J.E. Barralet, U. Gbureck. 3D Powder Printing of β-Tricalcium Phosphate Ceramics using different Strategies. Advanced Biomaterials 2008; 10: B67 – B71.